Browse Exhibits (10 total)
“The Aue Stagecoach Inn Complex is an outstanding historical site, representing a broad, evolutionary spectrum of architectural styles as well as the changing needs of the Max Aue family and the Leon Springs community. Constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, the group of buildings represent the simple immigrant-Germanic construction which was common to the area, as well as the more sophisticated and refined transitional Greek Revival/Victoria style.” (THC Atlas)
The John S. Harrison Homestead, located in northeast Bexar County along the Cibolo Creek at the rear of Forest Creek Subdivision on the access road of IH-35, consists of four historic structures/features. The house was built in the early1850’s by stage master, John S. Harrison and his wife, Martha Jane Harrison. Harrison ran three Star Routes (mail and passenger routes) through Central Texas from the mid-1840’s through the mid-1860’s. He died in Waco, Texas in December 1864. The house is owned by the City of Selma and has been restored as a community center and city park. It was officially opened in August 2016.
Nine Historic Structures built in the 1860s: Log cabin, barn, smokehouse, water well, workshop, Heidemann-Barrera house, storage house, cemetery, possible early kiln.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, July 6, 2011.
In 2014, Professor Frances Gale of the University of Texas At Austin, School of Architecture, took the Materials Conservation Laboratory class to the Heidemann property to analyze the building materials of the log house and the barn.
A Building Award was given to Mr. Roy R.Barrera, Sr. and Mr. Gilbert Barrera by the San Antonio Conservation Society in March 2016 for the restoration of the cabin, the barn and the smokehouse by Gilbert Barrera.
In 2016, the Heidemann Family Cemetery was dedicated and designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery (HTC).
The Blas Herrera Ranch, located in southern Bexar County, Texas, represents an important survival of an early 19th century homestead complex in south Texas. The structures comprising the compound reflect the simple character of central Texas vernacular architecture during the early 19th century and the simple Tejano structures which were common to the area. Historic built features throughout the ranch reflect the evolution and changing uses of the land, from active ranching, to one of scaled back ranching activities, to social and community events, to the simple pasturing of horses. At the heart of the ranch stand two jacales dating from the 1830s-1840s, the larger jacal having been one of two Herrera-Ruiz homesteads. Other structures include two wooden buildings, a pavilion and a few additional structures related to ranching and social activities. The jacals are indicative of the early Tejano construction techniques.
This site was home to two important area families, as well as a stagecoach stop in the 1800s. Development here began in 1858 when Joseph Huebner and his family, who arrived from Austria five years earlier, bought acreage surrounding what is now Huebner Creek and Huebner Road. A successful San Antonio businessman, he soon erected three limestone buildings here and began to acquire herds of horses, mules and cattle. He also opened a stagecoach stop at the family's homestead ranch on the San Antonio to Bandera stage line route. The stop included blacksmith services, change of stock and overnight accommodations if travelers were unable to pass over the flooded creek. Joseph Huebner died in 1882 and was buried on the homestead property.
The Ignacio Perez Rancho Jacal is located in the Medina River Natural Area and Greenway in southern Bexar County. (15890 Highway 16, San Antonio, TX). The Medina River Natural Area and Greenway is operated by the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department. The jacal is near the El Chaparral Trail and is visible from a distance as it is protected by a security fence. The Perez Rancho was located on the Spanish Land Grant awarded to Lt. Colonel Ignacio Perez in 1808. However, it is likely that Perez was occupying the lands prior to this time in the 1700s.
Presnall-Watson Homestead District
- Physical location of main gate: 1349 Neal Road, San Antonio, TX
- Mailing address: 114 E. Cevallos, San Antonio, TX 78204
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 10, 2012.
The Presnall-Watson Homestead District includes six buildings, three contributing structures, and six significant archeological sites.
- The 188-acre Presnall-Watson Homestead District is part of the Land Heritage Institute (LHI) property, a 1,200-acre living land museum representing at least 10,000 years of occupancy by all the major cultural groups that shaped South Texas, including Native Americans, the Spanish, the Mexicans, and the Anglos as well as African-Americans.
The Voelcker Farmstead Historic District is the remaining vestige of what was once a large scale private dairying operation, last owned by Max and Minnie (Tomerlin) Voelcker.
The Von Plehwe Compound is comprised of three structures: two diminutive residences and a detatched kitchen building. Built using a mixture of timber and masonry construction techniques, the structures reflect vernacular building traditions of central Texas architecture of the mid-19th century.
The two-story stone house was built by prominent local stockman William Votaw during the 1876 - 1880 period.
The historic Votaw-James House has become the administration building for the Mission Road Development Center and a focal point of the 20 acre campus. Mission Road is a residential treatment facility for developmentally disabled children and adults.