Browse Exhibits (37 total)
It is undetermined as to who built the house and in exactly what year it was built. However, based on the history of the property it is likely the house was built by Benedict Alig in the 1880’s after his purchase of the property in 1879. The State of Texas patented the property on March 24, 1882 to Benedict and his wife, Catherine Alig.
“The Aue Stagecoach Inn Complex is an outstanding historical site, representing a broad, evolutionary spectrum of architectural styles as well as the changing needs of the Max Aue family and the Leon Springs community. Constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, the group of buildings represent the simple immigrant-Germanic construction which was common to the area, as well as the more sophisticated and refined transitional Greek Revival/Victoria style.” (THC Atlas)
The Joseph and Salome Ball House and Farmstead dates back to c1898. It has been restored by the current owner.
Joseph Ball, Jr. immigrated from Alsace/Germany in 1852. In May 1867 he married Salome Keller of Castroville, Texas, who was also Alsatian.
The original stone-built homestead was built by Alex and Elise J. (nee Biering) Benke about 1888. The original house, the additions and the subsequent stone-built outbuildings were excellent examples of Texas vernacular architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1936, 190.12 acres, including the homestead property, passed to the Benke’s daughter, Dorothea M. Benke (1898-1984). She had married Frank J. Naegelin (1894-1973) in 1924. Farming and ranching activities on the property included bee keeping, the raising of chickens and turkeys, hog raising, cattle and the growing of oats primarily for the cattle.
Dr. Felix Bracht immigrated from Germany to Texas in 1849 where he joined his younger brother, Victor Bracht, who had previously written the popular travel guide, Texas in 1848. Dr. Bracht was followed within six months by his wife, Josephine and their daughter, Felicitas. The family settled on the Cibolo Creek in the area of Schertz. For a period of time, the Bracht family also lived in New Braunfels but later returned to their home on the Cibolo Creek. Before leaving Germany, Felix Bracht had been a student at the Friedrich Wilhelm University of Letters (current day Humboldt University) in Berlin. He was an intelligent, outspoken young man who involved himself in the volatile political situation in his country. While attending the University, he had been vocal in expressing his liberal political views and had joined the General German Student’s Association. With the defeat of the democratic initiatives, he was put on trial in Wesel. He was found guilty and sentenced to six years in prison, but pardoned after two years and allowed to complete his medical studies. In March of 1833, Dr. Felix Bracht graduated with a Doctor of Medicine degree and began the practice of medicine in Elberfield, Germany. Sixteen years later, the continuing political unrest in Germany and the opportunities for a better life in America apparently was a deciding factor in the Brachts leaving their homeland for Texas.
The Braun/Rousseau Complex was an integral part of an early German settlement in northwest Bexar County. It had been identified as a potential Landmark for the City of San Antonio and was potentially eligible for a nomination to the National Register of Historic places.
Philipp Friedrich “Fritz” Braun (b. July 9, 1832-d. December 25, 1915) made his first purchase of land in Bexar County on July 8, 1865, for which he paid $700 to H.J. and Maria Inselmann. This land was described as the lower half of the 640 acres of the Colden Denman Survey and was said to be on the Los Ricos, a tributary of Leon Creek.
Johann Hubert Classen was born on 18 September 1832 in Brachelen, Germany to Johann Peter Classen and Maria Helena Beckers Classen. He married Maria Helena Schuwirth (1831-1873) on 17 October 1856 in Brachelen and very soon they left Brachelen to immigrate to the U.S. Traveling on the ship IRIS with other family members, Johann and Helena had their first child, Heinrich “Henry,” who born on 31 Oct. 1856 while in transit. The new family arrived at the Port of Galveston on 15 November 1857
German immigrant Theodore Crenwelge built the stone farmhouse for his bride, Katherine (Katie Rumpel) in 1895. Originally the farm consisted of about 156 acres.
William Davenport was born in 1820 Saltville Township, Virginia. His family later lived in Kentucky before settling in present day Kaufman County, Texas in 1843. There William met and married Mary Ware, daughter of Texas Revolutionary veteran, William Ware. William and Mary built a home south of Cibolo Creek soon after purchasing land here in 1851, part of the Vincente Micheli survey. When Mary died the following year, William buried her near their home establishing a community burial ground in 1853. William married Nancy D. Young whose father John was a veteran of the War of 1812 and was also later buried in Davenport Cemetery.
The Zizelmann house, built in 1882 by Christian Zizelmann, is located in the historically significant Government Canyon just off the...