Benke - Naegelin Homestead - Demolished 2005
The original stone-built homestead was built by Alex and Elise J. (nee Biering) Benke about 1888. The original house, the additions and the subsequent stone-built outbuildings were excellent examples of Texas vernacular architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1936, 190.12 acres, including the homestead property, passed to the Benke’s daughter, Dorothea M. Benke (1898-1984). She had married Frank J. Naegelin (1894-1973) in 1924. Farming and ranching activities on the property included bee keeping, the raising of chickens and turkeys, hog raising, cattle and the growing of oats primarily for the cattle.
(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)
© San Antonio Conservation Society