Browse Exhibits (53 total)
Nine Historic Structures built in the 1860s: Log cabin, barn, smokehouse, water well, workshop, Heidemann-Barrera house, storage house, cemetery, possible early kiln.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, July 6, 2011.
In 2014, Professor Frances Gale of the University of Texas At Austin, School of Architecture, took the Materials Conservation Laboratory class to the Heidemann property to analyze the building materials of the log house and the barn.
A Building Award was given to Mr. Roy R.Barrera, Sr. and Mr. Gilbert Barrera by the San Antonio Conservation Society in March 2016 for the restoration of the cabin, the barn and the smokehouse by Gilbert Barrera.
In 2016, the Heidemann Family Cemetery was dedicated and designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery (HTC).
(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)
The Herff Farm is an excellent example of a Texas Hill Country farmstead built by pioneer German families who settled in and near Boerne in the mid-to-late 1800s. Located on the eastern outskirts of Boerne in Kendall County, the farm is part of a larger tract purchased by pioneer physician Ferdinand Herff in 1852. Herff’s holdings eventually expanded to some 10,000 acres which were used for ranching and as a retreat for his large family. After an earlier house burned, Ferdinand and Mathilde Herff built a two-story limestone house on the site. The property remained in the family until 1935 when it was acquired by George and Erma Rozelle who farmed and raised livestock. The house, farm, and domestic structures and surrounding fields remain remarkably intact in light of the rapid urbanization of Kendall County. Since the Cibolo Nature Center purchased 68-acres of the property in 2007, the Herff house has been restored and the surrounding land is conserved as open space. The farm was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
The Blas Herrera Ranch, located in southern Bexar County, Texas, represents an important survival of an early 19th century homestead complex in south Texas. The structures comprising the compound reflect the simple character of central Texas vernacular architecture during the early 19th century and the simple Tejano structures which were common to the area. Historic built features throughout the ranch reflect the evolution and changing uses of the land, from active ranching, to one of scaled back ranching activities, to social and community events, to the simple pasturing of horses. At the heart of the ranch stand two jacales dating from the 1830s-1840s, the larger jacal having been one of two Herrera-Ruiz homesteads. Other structures include two wooden buildings, a pavilion and a few additional structures related to ranching and social activities. The jacals are indicative of the early Tejano construction techniques.
This site was home to two important area families, as well as a stagecoach stop in the 1800s. Development here began in 1858 when Joseph Huebner and his family, who arrived from Austria five years earlier, bought acreage surrounding what is now Huebner Creek and Huebner Road. A successful San Antonio businessman, he soon erected three limestone buildings here and began to acquire herds of horses, mules and cattle. He also opened a stagecoach stop at the family's homestead ranch on the San Antonio to Bandera stage line route. The stop included blacksmith services, change of stock and overnight accommodations if travelers were unable to pass over the flooded creek. Joseph Huebner died in 1882 and was buried on the homestead property.
Enoch Jones, land speculator, son of Thomas Griffith and Susan (Jones) Jones, was born in 1802 in Wooster, Ohio. He immigrated to Texas sometime before 1837 and in partnership with John William Smith acquired a vast amount of land, which he sold at a profit when he returned to Detroit. Eventually he acquired almost 175,000 acres on the Medina River and built a large mansion, which Count Norbert von Ormay bought in 1885.
(See "Handbook of Texas Online: JONES, ENOCH")
[Special note:The name Norbert von Ormay is NOT misspelled. The Count’s family name was spelled with an “a”. When the people of Von Ormy decided to name their community after the Count they dropped the “a” from Ormay. The property was sold by the heirs of Enoch Jones to Count Norbert von Ormay.]
Kallison Ranch was purchased in 1910 by Nathan Kallison from two tracts that were originally part of the Jacob Hoffman Ranch, one of the earliest ranches in western Bexar County. Nathan and his wife, Anna, were Jewish immigrants from Russia who came to San Antonio in 1899 by way of Chicago. They operated a one-room harness shop which eventually became the largest farm-and- ranch supply business in the Southwest. The 1,683-acre ranch consisted of flat farmland on the southern end, with rolling, chalky pasturelands to the north. (Nick Kotz, The Harness Maker’s Dream: Nathan Kallison and the Rise of South Texas, Fort Worth: TCU Press, 2013)
The Patrick Kenney House located in Bexar County near Somerset, TX was built around 1877-78, after Patrick Henry Kenny purchased 46 ½ acres of land for $186.00 from D.W. Heard on 22 December 1877.1 The acreage was originally a part of the Clemente Bustillo grant, Survey #348.2 This purchase added to the already extensive acreage Kenney had previously purchased located on from the Michael De Chaumes grant.
Special note: The name of Bexar Road is pronounced “Bex–sar” not “Bear”. There was actually a community of Bexar (Bex sar) in this general area!
In December of 1854, immigrants from Upper Silesia in Prussian Poland began arriving
in Texas. In Bexar County, approximately twenty Silesian families created the village of
Saint Hedwig eighteen miles east of San Antonio. Today, recognized as one of the
earliest Polish settlements in the U. S. it is located on FM 1346, in far eastern Bexar
Valentine Aniol, one of the founding settlers of Saint Hedwig, Texas, in 1856, purchased from C. G. Napier an undivided interest in two hundred acres of land near the center of the John Springer Survey or Survey #31.
In 1892, Valentine Aniol conveyed the property to his daughter Julia Aniol Rakowicz and her husband John Rakowicz with the stipulation, “to furnish to the said Valentine Aniol a room on the premises including support, medical attention and clothing during her (sic) natural life.”
In 1896, the property came into the Kiolbassa family when it was
purchased by Ignatz Kiolbassa from John and Julia Aniol Rakowicz.
Charles Frederick William Klemcke and his wife, Emilie came to this country with the Castro Colony. Charles Frederick William Klemcke was born in Ohlen, Silesia which is now southwestern Poland. Emilie was born in Oranienburg, just north of Berlin, Germany. Frederick AKA William Klemcke was a candle and soap maker.
ANTON F. KRAUSE HOUSE
San Antonio, TX.
With political unrest and threats of war in Europe, Anton F. Krause and his future wife, Johanna Roesler, both natives of Lussdorf, Bohema, sailed from Bremen aboard the Lucie. They arrived in Galveston on November 7, 1854. Their granddaughter, Clara Krause Parsons, remembers them saying they walked most of the way to San Antonio where they joined a number of other German speaking families. On May 22, 1855, Anton and Johanna were married at San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio, Texas.