Browse Exhibits (50 total)
German immigrant Theodore Crenwelge built the stone farmhouse for his bride, Katherine (Katie Rumpel) in 1895. Originally the farm consisted of about 156 acres.
Culebra Road Stage Coach Stop and Outbuilding
Built about 1850-1865 on San Antonio-Castroville Road
William Davenport was born in 1820 Saltville Township, Virginia. His family later lived in Kentucky before settling in present day Kaufman County, Texas in 1843. There William met and married Mary Ware, daughter of Texas Revolutionary veteran, William Ware. William and Mary built a home south of Cibolo Creek soon after purchasing land here in 1851, part of the Vincente Micheli survey. When Mary died the following year, William buried her near their home establishing a community burial ground in 1853. William married Nancy D. Young whose father John was a veteran of the War of 1812 and was also later buried in Davenport Cemetery.
August Fredrich Ernst was the grandson of the early immigrant Ernst family who initially settled in New Braunfels, Comal County, TX. His grandparents, John Peter Ernst (born about 1803) and his grandmother, Katherine, (born about 1804) arrived in the U.S. in 1852 from Nassau, Germany. The Ernst’s initially establish residency in Comal County where they were purchased property and established a farm. After several years August and his parents along with other family members moved to Bexar County. Here they again bought property and established their home in a small community that was thriving at the time, but unfortunately no longer exists.
Robert B. Evans was born in Liberty, TN. He came to Texas in January 1844 (?) by way of Fort Caddo. On the way he lost two mules from sudden weather changes in Texas. One mule died of heat stroke and the second mule froze to death from a “Norther.”
The Selma Historical Parks Committee was commissioned to document Selma’s historical cemeteries and to preserve the remaining historical structures in Selma as new development approached the city. One of those structures documented was the Harrison & McCulloch Stage Stop.
The John S. Harrison Homestead, located in northeast Bexar County along the Cibolo Creek at the rear of Forest Creek Subdivision on the access road of IH-35, consists of four historic structures/features. The house was built in the early1850’s by stage master, John S. Harrison and his wife, Martha Jane Harrison. Harrison ran three Star Routes (mail and passenger routes) through Central Texas from the mid-1840’s through the mid-1860’s. He died in Waco, Texas in December 1864. The house is owned by the City of Selma and has been restored as a community center and city park. It was officially opened in August 2016.
The Heermann Store stands as one of the few surviving examples of the commercial buildings of rural south Texas. It has served multiple functions throughout its history. During the first few years after its construction, this building was a combination general store, post office, and residence (1892 to 1896). As a general store and post office, it would have served the community of Oak Island, with an estimated population of 600 agriculturalists scattered throughout the area. The building later served as a residence for farmers (ca. 1910 to 1939), and between 1945 and 1970, possibly a support building for a cotton gin. In addition to the main building, the Heermann Store site also includes ruins of an historic building reported to have been a saloon, and possibly at one time a gristmill. The saloon likely operated sometime between 1910 and 1920. The overall property may have been the site of commercial activities serving the Oak Island community for much of the time between 1892 and 1920. Rural general stores throughout this area were often short-lived business ventures, and many of them were abandoned after they ceased to be stores. The Heermann store demonstrates the early rural commercial building’s inherent adaptive characteristics. (Source: HABS report)
Nine Historic Structures built in the 1860s: Log cabin, barn, smokehouse, water well, workshop, Heidemann-Barrera house, storage house, cemetery, possible early kiln.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, July 6, 2011.
In 2014, Professor Frances Gale of the University of Texas At Austin, School of Architecture, took the Materials Conservation Laboratory class to the Heidemann property to analyze the building materials of the log house and the barn.
A Building Award was given to Mr. Roy R.Barrera, Sr. and Mr. Gilbert Barrera by the San Antonio Conservation Society in March 2016 for the restoration of the cabin, the barn and the smokehouse by Gilbert Barrera.
In 2016, the Heidemann Family Cemetery was dedicated and designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery (HTC).
The Herff Farm is an excellent example of a Texas Hill Country farmstead built by pioneer German families who settled in and near Boerne in the mid-to-late 1800s. Located on the eastern outskirts of Boerne in Kendall County, the farm is part of a larger tract purchased by pioneer physician Ferdinand Herff in 1852. Herff’s holdings eventually expanded to some 10,000 acres which were used for ranching and as a retreat for his large family. After an earlier house burned, Ferdinand and Mathilde Herff built a two-story limestone house on the site. The property remained in the family until 1935 when it was acquired by George and Erma Rozelle who farmed and raised livestock. The house, farm, and domestic structures and surrounding fields remain remarkably intact in light of the rapid urbanization of Kendall County. Since the Cibolo Nature Center purchased 68-acres of the property in 2007, the Herff house has been restored and the surrounding land is conserved as open space. The farm was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
The Scottish surgeon Dr. Fredrick Marnoch (1802-1870) purchased more than 1500 acres at this site in the autumn of 1858....