Browse Exhibits (4 total)
The Ignacio Perez Rancho Jacal is located in the Medina River Natural Area and Greenway in southern Bexar County. (15890 Highway 16, San Antonio, TX). The Medina River Natural Area and Greenway is operated by the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department. The jacal is near the El Chaparral Trail and is visible from a distance as it is protected by a security fence. The Perez Rancho was located on the Spanish Land Grant awarded to Lt. Colonel Ignacio Perez in 1808. However, it is likely that Perez was occupying the lands prior to this time in the 1700s.
The Perrin Home was designated by the Texas Historical Commission as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1968, Marker Number 13380. As of May 2011, the marker was reported to be missing. The Perrin House is also designated as a Landmark by the City of San Antonio.
Joseph Henry Polley and his wife Mary Bailey Polley, the builders of this house, are Old 300’s, the first settlers under Stephen F. Austin’s colony in Texas during the 1820’s. Joseph H. Polley was born in Whitehall, New York, in 1795. After serving as a teamster in the War of 1812 he left home and headed west, with accordingly to family history, “a horse, a rifle, and 50 cents in his pocket.” Along the way west, he befriended Moses Austin and traveled with him to Texas in 1820. After Moses Austin died, Polley came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin as one of the first twenty-two immigrants to come to Austin's Colony in 1821. After living for a short time at San Felipe de Austin, Polley settled at Bell's Landing on the Brazos. In 1823 he married Mary Bailey, daughter of the celebrated James Britton “Brit” Bailey, another “Old 300.” It is worthy of note that the marriage ceremony was performed three times, first, by the local Alcalde, and second, by a visiting priest, in conformity with Mexican law. Thirty couples were married at the same time in the second ceremony. Just to make the knot secure a third ceremony was performed by a Protestant minister.
(CLICK ON THE POLLEY MANSION TITLE ABOVE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)
R. L. White Ranch
Most of the ranch property is in its natural state, which is hilly, rolling and very rocky with many Live Oaks and Ashe Juniper.
None of the ranch’s man-made lakes, water-retention dams, sites, or structures can be seen from the highway.
The James L. Trueheart Ranch Complex, also known as the Trueheart-de la Garza Property, Casa Vieja, the Berry Ranch, or...