Browse Exhibits (30 total)
“The Aue Stagecoach Inn Complex is an outstanding historical site, representing a broad, evolutionary spectrum of architectural styles as well as the changing needs of the Max Aue family and the Leon Springs community. Constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, the group of buildings represent the simple immigrant-Germanic construction which was common to the area, as well as the more sophisticated and refined transitional Greek Revival/Victoria style.” (THC Atlas)
The Joseph and Salome Ball House and Farmstead dates back to c1898. It has been restored by the current owner.
Joseph Ball, Jr. immigrated from Alsace/Germany in 1852. In May 1867 he married Salome Keller of Castroville, Texas, who was also Alsatian.
The original stone-built homestead was built by Alex and Elise J. (nee Biering) Benke about 1888. The original house, the additions and the subsequent stone-built outbuildings were excellent examples of Texas vernacular architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1936, 190.12 acres, including the homestead property, passed to the Benke’s daughter, Dorothea M. Benke (1898-1984). She had married Frank J. Naegelin (1894-1973) in 1924. Farming and ranching activities on the property included bee keeping, the raising of chickens and turkeys, hog raising, cattle and the growing of oats primarily for the cattle.
Dr. Bracht was an intelligent, outspoken young man who involved himself in the political situation in his country. While attending the University, he had been vocal in expressing his liberal political views and had joined the General German Student’s Association. With the defeat of the democratic initiatives in 1848, Felix Bracht was taken to trial in Wesel. Although the outcome of the trial is unknown, Felix Bracht then decided to join his younger brother, Victor Bracht, and emmigrate to America.
The Braun/Rousseau Complex was an integral part of an early German settlement in northwest Bexar County. It had been identified as a potential Landmark for the City of San Antonio and was potentially eligible for a nomination to the National Register of Historic places.
Johann Hubert Classen was born on 18 September 1832 in Brachelen, Germany to Johann Peter Classen and Maria Helena Beckers Classen. He married Maria Helena Schuwirth (1831-1873) on 17 October 1856 in Brachelen and very soon they left Brachelen to immigrate to the U.S. Traveling on the ship IRIS with other family members, Johann and Helena had their first child, Heinrich “Henry,” who born on 31 Oct. 1856 while in transit. The new family arrived at the Port of Galveston on 15 November 1857
German immigrant Theodore Crenwelge built the stone farmhouse for his bride, Katherine in 1895. Originally the farm consisted of about 156 acres.
Culebra Road Stage Coach Stop and Outbuilding
Built about 1850-1865 on San Antonio-Castroville Road
William Davenport was born in 1820 Saltville Township, Virginia. His family later lived in Kentucky before settling in present day Kaufman County, Texas in 1843. There William met and married Mary Ware, daughter of Texas Revolutionary veteran, William Ware. William and Mary built a home south of Cibolo Creek soon after purchasing land here in 1851, part of the Vincente Micheli survey. When Mary died the following year, William buried her near their home establishing a community burial ground in 1853. William married Nancy D. Young whose father John was a veteran of the War of 1812 and was also later buried in Davenport Cemetery.
Robert B. Evans was born in Liberty, TN. He came to Texas in January 1844 (?) by way of Fort Caddo. On the way he lost two mules from sudden weather changes in Texas. One mule died of heat stroke and the second mule froze to death from a “Norther.”
Nine Historic Structures built in the 1860s: Log cabin, barn, smokehouse, water well, workshop, Heidemann-Barrera house, storage house, cemetery, possible early kiln. Listed on...