Browse Exhibits (12 total)
“The Aue Stagecoach Inn Complex is an outstanding historical site, representing a broad, evolutionary spectrum of architectural styles as well as the changing needs of the Max Aue family and the Leon Springs community. Constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, the group of buildings represent the simple immigrant-Germanic construction which was common to the area, as well as the more sophisticated and refined transitional Greek Revival/Victoria style.” (THC Atlas)
The original stone-built homestead was built by Alex and Elise J. (nee Biering) Benke about 1888. The original house, the additions and the subsequent stone-built outbuildings were excellent examples of Texas vernacular architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1936, 190.12 acres, including the homestead property, passed to the Benke’s daughter, Dorothea M. Benke (1898-1984). She had married Frank J. Naegelin (1894-1973) in 1924. Farming and ranching activities on the property included bee keeping, the raising of chickens and turkeys, hog raising, cattle and the growing of oats primarily for the cattle.
Dr. Felix Bracht immigrated from Germany to Texas in 1849 where he joined his younger brother, Victor Bracht, who had previously written the popular travel guide, Texas in 1848. Dr. Bracht was followed within six months by his wife, Josephine and their daughter, Felicitas. The family settled on the Cibolo Creek in the area of Schertz. For a period of time, the Bracht family also lived in New Braunfels but later returned to their home on the Cibolo Creek. Before leaving Germany, Felix Bracht had been a student at the Friedrich Wilhelm University of Letters (current day Humboldt University) in Berlin. He was an intelligent, outspoken young man who involved himself in the volatile political situation in his country. While attending the University, he had been vocal in expressing his liberal political views and had joined the General German Student’s Association. With the defeat of the democratic initiatives, he was put on trial in Wesel. He was found guilty and sentenced to six years in prison, but pardoned after two years and allowed to complete his medical studies. In March of 1833, Dr. Felix Bracht graduated with a Doctor of Medicine degree and began the practice of medicine in Elberfield, Germany. Sixteen years later, the continuing political unrest in Germany and the opportunities for a better life in America apparently was a deciding factor in the Brachts leaving their homeland for Texas.
The Braun/Rousseau Complex was an integral part of an early German settlement in northwest Bexar County. It had been identified as a potential Landmark for the City of San Antonio and was potentially eligible for a nomination to the National Register of Historic places.
German immigrant Theodore Crenwelge built the stone farmhouse for his bride, Katherine in 1895. Originally the farm consisted of about 156 acres.
Nine Historic Structures built in the 1860s: Log cabin, barn, smokehouse, water well, workshop, Heidemann-Barrera house, storage house, cemetery, possible early kiln.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, July 6, 2011.
In 2014, Professor Frances Gale of the University of Texas At Austin, School of Architecture, took the Materials Conservation Laboratory class to the Heidemann property to analyze the building materials of the log house and the barn.
A Building Award was given to Mr. Roy R.Barrera, Sr. and Mr. Gilbert Barrera by the San Antonio Conservation Society in March 2016 for the restoration of the cabin, the barn and the smokehouse by Gilbert Barrera.
In 2016, the Heidemann Family Cemetery was dedicated and designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery (HTC).
This site was home to two important area families, as well as a stagecoach stop in the 1800s. Development here began in 1858 when Joseph Huebner and his family, who arrived from Austria five years earlier, bought acreage surrounding what is now Huebner Creek and Huebner Road. A successful San Antonio businessman, he soon erected three limestone buildings here and began to acquire herds of horses, mules and cattle. He also opened a stagecoach stop at the family's homestead ranch on the San Antonio to Bandera stage line route. The stop included blacksmith services, change of stock and overnight accommodations if travelers were unable to pass over the flooded creek. Joseph Huebner died in 1882 and was buried on the homestead property.
The Monken family and their descendants can trace their family history and heritage back to the early German immigrants into Texas in the 1840’s. They are to be commended for retaining one of the early German homesteads in Texas as well as much of the original land obtained by the early Monken’s.
The MONKEN house has been beautifully restored and incorporated into the Balcones Creek Ranch development in northwest Bexar County near the Kendall County line. Also included on the property is the former Monken barn. The retention of these historic structures are wonderful examples of how a developer can successfully integrate history into a new housing development instead of destroying old structures.
The land where the (Schumann - Scheel) home is located was part of a 1476 acre ranch, known as the Converse Ranch, which Major James Converse, Chief Superintendent and Engineer for the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Rail way Company and the founder of the City of Converse, had purchased in 1877. James Converse sold his ranch to Edward Hall in 1882.
Anton Otto Schumann, born near New Braunfels on 3 January 1875, purchased 120 acres of that land from Hall on January 11, 1900.
The Voelcker Farmstead Historic District is the remaining vestige of what was once a large scale private dairying operation, last owned by Max and Minnie (Tomerlin) Voelcker.
This is the story of the old Yndo Ranch at Canada Verde, the house being built in 1868 by Miguel...