Browse Exhibits (46 total)
“The Aue Stagecoach Inn Complex is an outstanding historical site, representing a broad, evolutionary spectrum of architectural styles as well as the changing needs of the Max Aue family and the Leon Springs community. Constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, the group of buildings represent the simple immigrant-Germanic construction which was common to the area, as well as the more sophisticated and refined transitional Greek Revival/Victoria style.” (THC Atlas)
The Joseph and Salome Ball House and Farmstead dates back to c1898. It has been restored by the current owner.
Joseph Ball, Jr. immigrated from Alsace/Germany in 1852. In May 1867 he married Salome Keller of Castroville, Texas, who was also Alsatian.
The original stone-built homestead was built by Alex and Elise J. (nee Biering) Benke about 1888. The original house, the additions and the subsequent stone-built outbuildings were excellent examples of Texas vernacular architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1936, 190.12 acres, including the homestead property, passed to the Benke’s daughter, Dorothea M. Benke (1898-1984). She had married Frank J. Naegelin (1894-1973) in 1924. Farming and ranching activities on the property included bee keeping, the raising of chickens and turkeys, hog raising, cattle and the growing of oats primarily for the cattle.
From a 1967 deed record, one of the property boundaries indicates the west side of Borregas Road at the Borregas Bridge. This same record stated that Borregas Road was known at that time as FM 1518. Today it is E. Loop 1604. Available deed records go back as far as A.W. Earnest selling the property to B.J. Jackson, but that only in 1943. That's still not the original owner/builder. It is one of our ongoing mysteries.
Dr. Felix Bracht immigrated from Germany to Texas in 1849 where he joined his younger brother, Victor Bracht, who had previously written the popular travel guide, Texas in 1848. Dr. Bracht was followed within six months by his wife, Josephine and their daughter, Felicitas. The family settled on the Cibolo Creek in the area of Schertz. For a period of time, the Bracht family also lived in New Braunfels but later returned to their home on the Cibolo Creek. Before leaving Germany, Felix Bracht had been a student at the Friedrich Wilhelm University of Letters (current day Humboldt University) in Berlin. He was an intelligent, outspoken young man who involved himself in the volatile political situation in his country. While attending the University, he had been vocal in expressing his liberal political views and had joined the General German Student’s Association. With the defeat of the democratic initiatives, he was put on trial in Wesel. He was found guilty and sentenced to six years in prison, but pardoned after two years and allowed to complete his medical studies. In March of 1833, Dr. Felix Bracht graduated with a Doctor of Medicine degree and began the practice of medicine in Elberfield, Germany. Sixteen years later, the continuing political unrest in Germany and the opportunities for a better life in America apparently was a deciding factor in the Brachts leaving their homeland for Texas.
The Braun/Rousseau Complex was an integral part of an early German settlement in northwest Bexar County. It had been identified as a potential Landmark for the City of San Antonio and was potentially eligible for a nomination to the National Register of Historic places.
More to come!
Johann Hubert Classen was born on 18 September 1832 in Brachelen, Germany to Johann Peter Classen and Maria Helena Beckers Classen. He married Maria Helena Schuwirth (1831-1873) on 17 October 1856 in Brachelen and very soon they left Brachelen to immigrate to the U.S. Traveling on the ship IRIS with other family members, Johann and Helena had their first child, Heinrich “Henry,” who born on 31 Oct. 1856 while in transit. The new family arrived at the Port of Galveston on 15 November 1857
German immigrant Theodore Crenwelge built the stone farmhouse for his bride, Katherine in 1895. Originally the farm consisted of about 156 acres.
Culebra Road Stage Coach Stop and Outbuilding
Built about 1850-1865 on San Antonio-Castroville Road
More to come!