Browse Exhibits (5 total)
“The Aue Stagecoach Inn Complex is an outstanding historical site, representing a broad, evolutionary spectrum of architectural styles as well as the changing needs of the Max Aue family and the Leon Springs community. Constructed between the years 1850 and 1880, the group of buildings represent the simple immigrant-Germanic construction which was common to the area, as well as the more sophisticated and refined transitional Greek Revival/Victoria style.” (THC Atlas)
Culebra Road Stage Coach Stop and Outbuilding
Built about 1850-1865 on San Antonio-Castroville Road
The Selma Historical Parks Committee was commissioned to document Selma’s historical cemeteries and to preserve the remaining historical structures in Selma as new development approached the city. One of those structures documented was the Harrison & McCulloch Stage Stop.
This site was home to two important area families, as well as a stagecoach stop in the 1800s. Development here began in 1858 when Joseph Huebner and his family, who arrived from Austria five years earlier, bought acreage surrounding what is now Huebner Creek and Huebner Road. A successful San Antonio businessman, he soon erected three limestone buildings here and began to acquire herds of horses, mules and cattle. He also opened a stagecoach stop at the family's homestead ranch on the San Antonio to Bandera stage line route. The stop included blacksmith services, change of stock and overnight accommodations if travelers were unable to pass over the flooded creek. Joseph Huebner died in 1882 and was buried on the homestead property.
The Von Plehwe Compound is comprised of three structures: two diminutive residences and a detatched kitchen building. Built using a mixture of timber and masonry construction techniques, the structures reflect vernacular building traditions of central Texas architecture of the mid-19th century.
Kallison Ranch was purchased in 1910 by Nathan Kallison from two tracts that were originally part of the Jacob Hoffman...