Browse Exhibits (2 total)

de la Garza - Cantu House

De la Garza House-800.jpg

This property was once part of the large Spanish land grant made to Simon Arocha, a Canary Island descendant, by the Spanish government in ca. 1778.  The ranch appeared on the list of Sindico Reports of the Bexar Jurisdiction, taken in the Year 1810. At this time, the ranch was known as Santa Rita de las Yslitas.

, , , ,

Herff / Rozelle Farm

Herff Farm1.jpg

The Herff Farm is an excellent example of a Texas Hill Country farmstead built by pioneer German families who settled in and near Boerne in the mid-to-late 1800s.  Located on the eastern outskirts of Boerne in Kendall County, the farm is part of a larger tract purchased by pioneer physician Ferdinand Herff in 1852.  Herff’s holdings eventually expanded to some 10,000 acres which were used for ranching and as a retreat for his large family.  After an earlier house burned, Ferdinand and Mathilde Herff built a two-story limestone house on the site.  The property remained in the family until 1935 when it was acquired by George and Erma Rozelle who farmed and raised livestock.  The house, farm, and domestic structures and surrounding fields remain remarkably intact in light of the rapid urbanization of Kendall County.  Since the Cibolo Nature Center purchased 68-acres of the property in 2007, the Herff house has been restored and the surrounding land is conserved as open space.    The farm was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

, , , , ,