Overview / Summary
The Scottish surgeon Dr. Fredrick Marnoch (1802-1870) purchased more than 1500 acres at this site in the autumn of 1858. In January 1859, Marnoch commissioned famed San Antonio architect and builder John M. Fries to construct this house near Helotes Creek. Previously, Fries had designed the Menger Hotel and City Market House in San Antonio. Dr. Marnoch and his wife Elizabeth (Wilson) reared six children. Besides practicing medicine in the Helotes area, Dr. Marnoch also raised livestock. Upon his death, the Marnoch property passed on to his children.
Marnoch text for historical marker was posted with the permission of Cynthia Massey who researched the history and prepared the application to the Texas Historical Commission
Puerto de los Olotes
The town of Helotes in northwest Bexar County was incorporated in 1981, however, the area has a long history of occupation. Reports of archeological excavations revealed evidence of nomadic tribes as far back as 5000 BC. More recently, the area was mentioned in a 1723 Spanish report to the then governor of the province, describing an Indian attack that occurred at el Puerto de los Olotes (Corncob Pass), 20 miles northwest of the Presidio San Antonio de Béxar. The town’s name is derived from the Spanish word elotes, which means corn-on-the cob.