Kallison Ranch

Kallison Ranch was purchased in 1910 by Nathan Kallison from two tracts that were originally part of the Jacob Hoffman Ranch, one of the earliest ranches in western Bexar County.  Nathan and his wife, Anna, were Jewish immigrants from Russia who came to San Antonio in 1899 by way of Chicago.  They operated a one-room harness shop which eventually became the largest farm-and- ranch supply business in the Southwest.  The 1,683-acre ranch consisted of flat farmland on the southern end, with rolling, chalky pasturelands to the north.    (Nick Kotz, The Harness Maker’s Dream:  Nathan Kallison and the Rise of South Texas,  Fort Worth:  TCU Press, 2013)

Credits

© San Antonio Conservation Society