Overview / Summary
Known as the Settlement Inn for many decades, the Aue compound was built in the mid-1800s by Prussian immigrant Max Aue who acquired his first 640 acres in Leon Springs in return for service as a Texas Ranger. According to his grandson, also named Max Aue, he paid the State of Texas 25 cents an acre for 20,000 acres in the vicinity of Leon Springs where he built his first house that served as home, stage stop, store and post office. When the railroad came through in 1887 a station was built and named “Aue”.
Max Aue married Emma Toepperwein, whose family accompanied him on the voyage to America. As their family grew to include four children Max built a larger double pen dogtrot house of cedar logs. In 1878 Aue added a two-story limestone hotel as activities at the Leon Springs Military Reservation expanded. This structure later served as the family residence.
Recognizing the need for relaxation for the troops stationed at the nearby camps Aue built an icebox next to the railroad that held a boxcar of beer, and a dance hall that was called the “B-29” during WWII. In the late 1980s this stone building became famous as Macaroni Grill, the prototype for what is now a national chain of restaurants.
During the 1920s when auto travel became common, Max Aue’s son Rudolph built a gas station and store now known as Rudy’s Country Store and Bar-B-Q.