Browse Exhibits (1 total)

Herff / Rozelle Farm

Herff Farm1.jpg

The Herff Farm is an excellent example of a Texas Hill Country farmstead built by pioneer German families who settled in and near Boerne in the mid-to-late 1800s.  Located on the eastern outskirts of Boerne in Kendall County, the farm is part of a larger tract purchased by pioneer physician Ferdinand Herff in 1852.  Herff’s holdings eventually expanded to some 10,000 acres which were used for ranching and as a retreat for his large family.  After an earlier house burned, Ferdinand and Mathilde Herff built a two-story limestone house on the site.  The property remained in the family until 1935 when it was acquired by George and Erma Rozelle who farmed and raised livestock.  The house, farm, and domestic structures and surrounding fields remain remarkably intact in light of the rapid urbanization of Kendall County.  Since the Cibolo Nature Center purchased 68-acres of the property in 2007, the Herff house has been restored and the surrounding land is conserved as open space.    The farm was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

, , , , ,