Browse Exhibits (59 total)

Guilbeau House

Guilbeau House #2.jpg

 

The historic Francois and Catarina Callaghan Guilbeau farmhouse and associated structures (c1885) are in danger of being demolished.

Architecturally the primary structure, the Guilbeau house, is valuable for the study of the period, type, method of construction and use of indigenous materials.  It was built c1885 and is a vernacular stucco-clad limestone dog trot folk house with an enclosed central passageway.  It is built of local stone that was likely quarried from a nearby source.

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , , ,

Harrison and McCulloch Stage Stop

2-Selma Stage -  2002.jpg

The Selma Historical Parks Committee was commissioned to document Selma’s historical cemeteries and to preserve the remaining historical structures in Selma as new development approached the city.  One of those structures documented was the Harrison & McCulloch Stage Stop.

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , ,

Harrison, John S. - House

Harrison House after restoration.jpg

The John S. Harrison Homestead, located in northeast Bexar County along the Cibolo Creek at the rear of Forest Creek Subdivision on the access road of IH-35, consists of four historic structures/features.  The house was built in the early1850’s by stage master, John S. Harrison and his wife, Martha Jane Harrison.  Harrison ran three Star Routes  (mail and passenger routes) through Central Texas from the mid-1840’s through the mid-1860’s.  He died in Waco, Texas in December 1864.  The house is owned by the City of Selma and has been restored as a community center and city park.  It was officially opened in August 2016.

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, ,

Heermann Store

Heermann Store pictures 012  1.jpg

The Heermann Store stands as one of the few surviving examples of the commercial buildings of rural south Texas.  It has served multiple functions throughout its history.  During the first few years after its construction, this building was a combination general store, post office, and residence (1892 to 1896). As a general store and post office, it would have served the community of Oak Island, with an estimated population of 600 agriculturalists scattered throughout the area. The building later served as a residence for farmers (ca. 1910 to 1939), and between 1945 and 1970, possibly a support building for a cotton gin. In addition to the main building, the Heermann Store site also includes ruins of an historic building reported to have been a saloon, and possibly at one time a gristmill. The saloon likely operated sometime between 1910 and 1920. The overall property may have been the site of commercial activities serving the Oak Island community for much of the time between 1892 and 1920. Rural general stores throughout this area were often short-lived business ventures, and many of them were abandoned after they ceased to be stores.  The Heermann store demonstrates the early rural commercial building’s inherent adaptive characteristics.   (Source: HABS report)

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , ,

Heidemann Ranch Complex

Heidemann Complex, Well #4 Overview NAE Oblique, Roll 1 Pic 20, 4B.jpg

Nine Historic Structures built in the 1860s: Log cabin, barn, smokehouse, water well, workshop, Heidemann-Barrera house, storage house, cemetery, possible early kiln.

  • Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, July 6, 2011.

  • In 2014, Professor Frances Gale of the University of Texas At Austin, School of Architecture, took the Materials Conservation Laboratory class to the Heidemann property to analyze the building materials of the log house and the barn.

  • A Building Award was given to Mr. Roy R.Barrera, Sr. and Mr. Gilbert Barrera by the San Antonio Conservation Society in March 2016 for the restoration of the cabin, the barn and the smokehouse by Gilbert Barrera.

  • In 2016, the Heidemann Family Cemetery was dedicated and designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery (HTC).

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , , , , , , , , ,

Herff / Rozelle Farm

Herff Farm1.jpg

The Herff Farm is an excellent example of a Texas Hill Country farmstead built by pioneer German families who settled in and near Boerne in the mid-to-late 1800s.  Located on the eastern outskirts of Boerne in Kendall County, the farm is part of a larger tract purchased by pioneer physician Ferdinand Herff in 1852.  Herff’s holdings eventually expanded to some 10,000 acres which were used for ranching and as a retreat for his large family.  After an earlier house burned, Ferdinand and Mathilde Herff built a two-story limestone house on the site.  The property remained in the family until 1935 when it was acquired by George and Erma Rozelle who farmed and raised livestock.  The house, farm, and domestic structures and surrounding fields remain remarkably intact in light of the rapid urbanization of Kendall County.  Since the Cibolo Nature Center purchased 68-acres of the property in 2007, the Herff house has been restored and the surrounding land is conserved as open space.    The farm was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , , , ,

Herrera, Blas Ranch

Blas Herrera jacal before stabilization - 2008.jpg

The Blas Herrera Ranch, located in southern Bexar County, Texas, represents an important survival of an early 19th century homestead complex in south Texas.  The structures comprising the compound reflect the simple character of central Texas vernacular architecture during the early 19th century and the simple Tejano structures which were common to the area.  Historic built features throughout the ranch reflect the evolution and changing uses of the land, from active ranching, to one of scaled back ranching activities, to social and community events, to the simple pasturing of horses.  At the heart of the ranch stand two jacales dating from the 1830s-1840s, the larger jacal having been one of two Herrera-Ruiz homesteads.  Other structures include two wooden buildings, a pavilion and a few additional structures related to ranching and social activities.  The jacals are indicative of the early Tejano construction techniques.

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , , , , ,

Hoffmann, Caroline and Jacob

Helotes Book Cover_2020_RGB.jpeg

Few women owned property in their own right in the nineteenth century. In the Helotes settlement, Carmel Marnoch owned her own carriage, 20 horses and 15 head of cattle; and Teodora Martinez owned 130 acres. However, by 1881, Caroline Hoffmann owned more than 4,000 acres, including horses and cattle, in her
own right. By 1890, Caroline and her husband, Jacob, had amassed more than 7,500 acres. By 1908, five years after Jacob’s death, the Hoffmann estate included 12,667 acres, a substantial portion in present day Government Canyon State Natural Area.

, , , , ,

Huebner - Onion Homestead

Huebner-Onion Homestead B&W before restoration.jpg

This site was home to two important area families, as well as a stagecoach stop in the 1800s. Development here began in 1858 when Joseph Huebner and his family, who arrived from Austria five years earlier, bought acreage surrounding what is now Huebner Creek and Huebner Road. A successful San Antonio businessman, he soon erected three limestone buildings here and began to acquire herds of horses, mules and cattle. He also opened a stagecoach stop at the family's homestead ranch on the San Antonio to Bandera stage line route. The stop included blacksmith services, change of stock and overnight accommodations if travelers were unable to pass over the flooded creek. Joseph Huebner died in 1882 and was buried on the homestead property.

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, , , , , ,

Jones, Enoch Farmstead

Enoch Jones  house - 2004.jpg

Enoch Jones, land speculator, son of Thomas Griffith and Susan (Jones) Jones, was born in 1802 in Wooster, Ohio. He immigrated to Texas sometime before 1837 and in partnership with John William Smith acquired a vast amount of land, which he sold at a profit when he returned to Detroit. Eventually he acquired almost 175,000 acres on the Medina River and built a large mansion, which Count Norbert von Ormay bought in 1885.

(See "Handbook of Texas Online: JONES, ENOCH")

[Special note:The name Norbert von Ormay is NOT misspelled.  The Count’s family name was spelled with an “a”.   When the people of Von Ormy decided to name their community after the Count they dropped the “a” from Ormay. The property was sold by the heirs of Enoch Jones to Count Norbert von Ormay.]

(CLICK ON ABOVE TITLE TO OPEN EXHIBIT FILES)

, ,